Royal Court, Jerwood Downstairs
EXCERPT: "Penelope Skinner's play Linda is engaging and sometimes very insightful, but it is also a play that is agenda-led and not subtle about it."
Summary
“I’m
an award-winning business woman. I’m happily married with two beautiful
daughters and I still fit in the same size ten dress suit I did fifteen years
ago. What could possibly threaten me?”
Linda
Wilde has dedicated her life to changing the world. She’s won awards for her
efforts, at the same time as working hard to become an inspiring mother, and an
independent, loving wife.
Now,
at 55, she seems to have it all. But Linda isn’t satisfied. She’s a woman in
her prime and she’s embarking on her most ambitious plan to date. But beneath
the surface, the cracks are starting to show.
“Old
for a woman means worthless. Invisible. Of course we’re terrified. You tell us
we peak at sixteen and it’s downhill all the way from there. Well I haven’t
worked this hard to be pushed aside at the last hurdle. I refuse to be
silenced. I will not disappear. I am Linda Wilde. And I’m still here!”
Thoughts
Penelope
Skinner's play Linda is engaging and sometimes very insightful, but it is also
a play that is agenda-led and not subtle about it. Characters are stereotypes
and I don't really believe in the relationships. Too much of it is heavy handed
- Skinner needs to go back to school and be told to show not tell a bit more.
Because there are real gems here, moments when it becomes really pertinent and
thought provoking, but also ones where it feels wooden in its predictability. Noma Dumezweni had to come in very last minute to take over the central role from a very
ill Kim Cattrall and she does an extraordinary job - on stage for practically
the whole thing she rarely and barely refers to her script. What is frustrating
is that this feels like an early draft of a promising play. Because the ideas
and links being drawn are very interesting ones - it's just they seem less
interesting when we're being explicitly told about them, rather than being
allowed the space to examine the relationships we see before us, judge them
ourselves, and then turn that judgement in on ourselves. Es Devlin's set is
stunning, a rotating transparent thing that is immaculate and impeccably
beautiful, like the enviably perfect image that the play's successful women
want to construct (even as they seek to sabotage it - whether by Linda's
rejection of the idea of typically beautiful women, or Amy's destruction of her
idol's career) and that Linda's children and husband can't live up to. The most
powerful moment in the play for me is when Alice takes off her invisibility
cloak, the skunk outfit that stops men from seeing her, and reveals all her
self-harming. These shells we put up are nothing but that.

No comments:
Post a Comment