Finborough Theatre, London
EXCERPT: "The writing is undeniably unsophisticated, with too many short scenes, abrupt shifts between narrative styles, and poorly thought through characters, but Mark Dominy’s direction didn’t make the best of a bad job."
EXCERPT: "The writing is undeniably unsophisticated, with too many short scenes, abrupt shifts between narrative styles, and poorly thought through characters, but Mark Dominy’s direction didn’t make the best of a bad job."
Plot summary:
“I’m a lunatic. A right bad lot. What the Judge always calls, “A menace to society”. I’m speaking to you tonight from a Scottish prison where I am serving a life-sentence for murder. What you are going to see is my life as I remember it”
Glasgow, the 1970s. Johnny Byrne is a young schoolboy involved in petty crime and violence. But when he meets Deadeye, he soon finds himself known as a ‘hard man’ and being convicted of murder. But it is when he is serving his sentence in Barlinnie that the real acts of brutality occur...
Based on the life of Jimmy Boyle, co-writer of the play and – at the time of its production – still a prisoner in Barlinnie Special Unit, The Hard Man is his compelling and shocking study of a brutalised man in a brutalising system.
Cast and Creative team:
Directed by Mark Dominy
Designed by Mike Lees
Produced by Max Bittleston
Martin Docherty - Johnny Byrne
Ross Dunsmore - Deadeye / Archie / Kelley / Policeman / Clerk / Mochan
Adam Harley - Bandit / Johnstone
Jack McMillan - Slugger / Renfrew
Ruth Milne - Lizzie / Carole / Woman's voice
Ross F. Sutherland - Big Danny / Lewis / Commando / Paisley / Policeman
Sarah Waddell - Maggie / Maw / Woman with Archie / Bar Woman / Kelly / Didi
Thoughts:
The Hard Man’s redeeming
feature is its high quality cast. Considering they were unpaid, I imagine it
was the Finborough’s name and reputation that lured them in. Unfortunately, I
didn’t feel that either the writing or direction warranted the Finborough’s
stamp of support.
The play is excessively, repetitively and quite mindlessly violent. It
basically makes for a pretty grim audience experience. I didn’t care for any of
the characters and by the end, the gruesomeness of the brutality made me just
keen the whole thing would be over soon. The play is autobiographically
co-written by Jimmy Boyle, and the lack of understanding about what audiences
require dramatically shows through. There seems to be no real point to the
production – no moral compass or purpose, and as such it just becomes wearing.
The relationships that the play proffers haven’t been well developed enough to
be believable, and although the actors tried hard to construct people from
them, there is no scriptural evidence for why Johnny’s girlfriend would be
faithful to him or why one of the police guards would be kind to him.
The writing is undeniably unsophisticated, with too many short scenes,
abrupt shifts between narrative styles, and poorly thought through characters,
but Mark Dominy’s direction didn’t make the best of a bad job. The repetitive
use of the same music to change each scene felt increasingly clunky and
highlighted the script’s flaws. And, although the acting was strong, I did find
the clear discrepancy between what the actors looked like and the type of
people they were representing quite off putting. The three friends seemed an
incongruous mix: although Johnny Byrne as Martin Docherty was appropriately
weasely-looking, he was also quite old, whereas his two stooges (Adam Harley
and Jack McMillan) were inappropriately fresh faced and innocent looking. I
have rarely – if ever – felt that look so hampered the credibility of
performances. Furthermore, things that Dominy should have straightened out
weren’t: for example, as the play progresses, Docherty does far too much
pacing, which is as annoying as it is distracting. I also felt Mike Lees’
design was too self-evidently low budget to justify the high ticket prices we
paid, or – more importantly – the high quality shows that the Finborough promises.
Considering these issues, it was all the more impressive therefore that – for the
most part – our attention was held (particularly tricky when there is a lot of
quite samey ranting). Still, though, not quite the show I was looking for on my
Monday night.

No comments:
Post a Comment