the Spaces @ Surgeon's Hall, Edinburgh Fringe Festival 2011
*
"I actually quite enjoyed this production, possibly partly because some of it was literally laughable."
"I actually quite enjoyed this production, possibly partly because some of it was literally laughable."
A lot of time and effort had been put into this production: the costumes looked amazing, every actor’s movement had clearly been carefully directed, and the cast’s (many) speeches in unison were spot on (a sure fire indicator of an extensive rehearsal process). However, each of these elements had disappointing accompaniments: the lack of props seemed even more like foolish forgetfulness when set next to the fabulous costumes, and the actors’ clumsy miming even more amateur. The director’s presence was excessively strong onstage – like the actors, audience members were aware of the silent set of stage directions that were taken so very literally by the actors (turn left on the word ‘your’ and raise your right hand, etc). Added to which, although the faultless delivery of lines in unison was impressive, many individuals’ inability to remember their own lines in dialogue was less so – leading to the embarrassing situation where other actors had to mouth reminders to the culpable forgetter.
I actually quite enjoyed this production, possibly partly because some of it was literally laughable. I particularly liked the frequent displays of physical violence: I have rarely seen so many poorly delivered air-slaps and punches in one show. A particular highlight was when Max (Charlian Francisco) caught Rose’s (Molly Kitiyakara) arm as it flew in slow motion about a metre from his face. However, the factory sounds and movements were well executed, the different levels enhancing the action and the movement between them well choreographed. I also loved the singing at the end – with such blatant talent as that, it should have been integrated more often into the body of the play.
This show was unfortunately decidedly amateur, both in terms of the direction techniques employed and the acting skills presented. There were a lot of montages and cheesy ‘flying free’ tropes, but all the actors were commendably focused and trying extremely hard. Perhaps one for school parents to be proud of; I’m not so sure about the receptivity of random punters at the Edinburgh Fringe.
Published on edfringereview.com
Published on edfringereview.com

No comments:
Post a Comment